Victoria Sauer Chiappetta

August 25, 2015

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you of the death of our classmate Victoria Sauer Chiappetta on August 25, 2015.

Please Click for More

Hi all. I was very sad to learn of Vicky's death. She was my roommate senior year--a very easy one at that! After graduation I saw her when I lived in Boston. She worked so hard in college and when she went to graduate school, she decided it wasn't her cup of tea. After that I lost track of her until I discovered she was living in Chicago. Fred was at a meeting, so I spent a day catching up with her and her daughters. At that point, she had been teaching. Then they moved back to Rhode Island or Mass, I don't know which and again I lost track of her. I have often thought about her and wished I had known where she was. I especially remember spending time with her and her family at their summer place on a lake--I'm not just sure where. She took me out fishing and taught me how to cast! I got pretty good at that but was not too excited about actually catching fish! My condolences to her family. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for her.

Charlotte (Foot) Morrison

Although it was a long time ago, and challenges my not-so-great memory, as I recall, Vicky and I were suite-mates junior year. I remember heras very dedicated to deeply understand her course materials, and always pleasant and thoughtful as an individual. We learned a lot from each other when she was studying physical chemistry from a chemistry perspective, and I from a physics standpoint. Our discussions were intellectually stimulating to both, and a great example of a learning opportunity outside the classroom that deepened and enriched our understanding of the subject. Unfortunately, I did not stay in touch with her after graduation - I had known she went to graduate school, but was unaware of her life path after that. I can imagine, however, that she would have been a very dedicated and stimulating teacher. I remember her fondly, and was saddened to hear of her passing.

Barbara Wilson

We are part of a wave in the ocean. We rose up, crested and, now, are slowly melding back into the sea. Each time we join hands or voices through whatever means and for whatever reasons, we celebrate the memories of that wave and the beauty of the waves before and after us. We celebrate each drop as it melds back, though we may have been unaware of it as it was part of all of us. So today, we celebrate Victoria.

Tatiana Androsov

Georgina Marie Nemecek


July 20, 2015

Dr. Georgina Marie Nemecek, 68, Roxbury Township, New Jersey, died on July 20th at her home in Ledgewood, N. J. She is survived by her brother, Dr. Russell Nemecek (Mary Ann), of Liverpool, New York; a nephew, Thomas Nemecek (Donatta) of Tallahassee, Florida; and her niece, Emily Nemecek of Baldwinsville, New York. She was predeceased by her parents, Dr. George and Frances Valerie Nemecek, formerly of Mineola, New York.

Born in Mineola, N. Y. on August 27, 1946, Georgina was a member of 4-H and the Girl Scouts in her youth. Georgina was valedictorian of her Mineola High School class of 1964. She obtained her undergraduate degree from Mount. Holyoke College with a major in chemistry and a PhD in Pharmacology from the University of Pennsylvania. Her professional career included teaching biochemistry at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worchester, Massachusetts and as a pharmacological researcher for Sandoz and Novartis Pharmaceuticals in East Hanover, New Jersey. She was a parishioner of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in Flanders, N.J.

As a "retirement" venture Georgina went to law school and obtained a JD degree from Rutgers University Law School in Newark, New Jersey at the age of 63, passing the bar exam in both New Jersey and New York.

Georgina enjoyed spending time on Eastern Long Island, where she had a summer home. Her other enjoyment and love were her beagles and especially those that had been rescued after being abandoned.

She was a loving sister, providing guidance and inspiration, and was dedicated to her profession. Georgina was a caring and helpful friend to those who knew her well and had a special place in her heart for her nephew and niece. Georgina was a loving and dedicated daughter to her mother over the nearly three decades following her father's death.

Donations may be sent to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in her memory.

Nancy Brown Oliver

April 27, 2015

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you of the death of our classmate Nancy Brown Oliver on April 27, 2015.

Ann Kiley Burke

March 4, 2015

A Remembrance of Ann Kiley Burke by Chris Anderson Salmon

We weren't supposed to be roommates our freshman year at Safford. We had each been paired with someone else and, though we knew six weeks into the year that neither of our assigned roommates was especially compatible, we were at that point good girls who went along and didn't make waves. But one night, our respective roommates asked if we would switch roommates for the night; they had made some sort of plans together that did not include us. Ann and I talked most of the night, and discovered many similarities in our upbringings (small Massachusetts towns), senses of humor (sardonic), and reactions to Holyoke (a distinct feeling that we were not going to coast through as we had in high school). The next day we asked if we could switch roommates permanently. Everyone was amenable, and thus began a friendship that extended over fifty years.

Ann had experienced several early losses in her life. Her younger brother Joey died of childhood leukemia while still in grade school; her mother died of lupus when Ann was sixteen. Her mother's death began an upheaval that in a sense never ended for Ann. Her father remarried about a year later and began a large family with his new wife. Ann and her sister Joan were certainly not neglected, but she always felt she never really had a place in her father's reconfigured family. This led, I think, to a lifelong restlessness and distrust of the status quo. Ann was always ready to travel, to try a new career, to seek out something new. Besides her friendships, which were many, and her close relationship with her sister, she had few constants in her life. But her intelligence and resourcefulness enabled her to land endlessly on her feet no matter where she was or what she was doing. She was, in turn, an educator at an art museum (making use of her art history degree); a kindergarten teacher; a very successful salesperson for a designer furniture company; a restaurateur; director of the education department at a photography museum; a researcher for the National Inquirer, an operator of several B& Bs. She moved from Buffalo to Florida in the early 90s ("I couldn't take one more Buffalo winter," she told me). Ann loved Florida and would say "What are you doing there?" whenever I called complaining about the winter weather in upstate New York.

In the last few years, however, there were more losses. Both her marriages had ended years earlier. Her only child, Michael, suffered from depression and addiction issues, and took his life in his early 30s. After Michael's death, Ann began to encounter a series of health problems. A detached retina took the vision in one eye, and as a result, she could no longer drive. When she fell and broke her hip, she discovered she had developed osteoporosis. A mysterious ailment which caused the sodium level in her blood to become dangerously low landed her in the hospital for a week. She had high blood pressure. Occasionally she would say to me, "What do you expect? I'm old." But she remained her feisty self, with strong opinions, wry humor, and thought-provoking insights whenever we talked or when I came to visit. She never stopped being fun to be around.

Last fall, she moved into an apartment she loved in West Palm Beach. It overlooked the Intracoastal Waterway and was within walking distance of downtown West Palm. Since she wasn't driving, it was a wonderful location that gave her access to everything the downtown had to offer. When I spoke with her on the phone, she sounded happier than she had been in years.

In mid-March, a neighbor noticed that newspapers were piling up outside her door. The apartment management called the fire department, who found her lying on the floor. She had suffered either a massive heart attack or stroke. Her passing leaves her friends bereft of her wit, her honesty, her clear-eyed assessment of any situation, and the example of her strength and resilience in overcoming the many challenges life had placed in her way. An uncommon woman, indeed.

Read her obituary from the Palm Beach Post

Sandra Lee Copeland

February 22, 2015

Sandra Lee Copeland of Birmingham, Alabama, passed away on February 22, 2015. She attended MHC for a time, but ultimately received her bachelor's from New York University in 1981.

The Birmingham News announced that funeral services were held on March 11, 2015 at Smith & Gaston Southside Chapel with burial in Elmwood Cemetery.

If anyone has memories of Sandra during her time on campus, please contact Eloise Prescott Killeffer

Sara E. Kusch

July 7, 2014

Classmate Sara E. Kusch passed away on July 7, 2014, as the result of a tragic accident. We offer deep condolences to her family.
At Mount Holyoke she majored in English literature.
At the time of her death, she lived in Lavina, Montana, and was an avid gardener. She died at her garden when her car rolled over her. The tragedy is reported in these two news links:

If you would like to make a donation in memory of Sara, her family requests that you contribute in her name to the: Dean Creek Volunteer Fire Department 531 Dean Creek Rd Lavina MT 59046 and write on your check "In Memory of Sara"
If you want to post a memorial on this Class of 1968 web page, kindly email or phone Paula Braga Leidich,, 407-366-3366.

Gloria S. Barnes

December 10, 2012

Resident of Brookdale

Gloria S. Barnes, 66, passed away peacefully at her Brookdale home on Monday, Dec. 10, 2012. She fought a courageous battle over lymphoma.

Gloria was born to Eunice Gloria Barnes and Captain Fred C. Barnes, in Flushing, New York. She grew up in Hamilton, Massachusetts, living there from 1949 to 1962. Her dad was a pilot for American Airlines; her mother was a nurse and airline stewardess. The family moved several times as her dad was transferred from one 'base' to another. Gloria's family lived in Tennessee (her older brother, Bill, born in Nashville), New York, Massachusetts and California.

Gloria graduated from Palisades High School, Palisades, CA in 1964. She was very proud having graduated from Mt. Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts in 1968, with a BA Degree in Fine Arts. Gloria also earned a Paralegal Degree and was a Notary. Gloria retired as the Appeals Clerk for Santa Cruz County, CA in 2005.

A long time resident of Brookdale, Gloria raised her two children, Annie Born and JD Sanderson, as a single mother. Annie and JD were born on the east coast; Gloria moved to California to be near her parents, who retired to Scotts Valley, CA.

Gloria was an avid painter and photographer, and she loved to swim. In her retirement, Gloria began painting on silk scarves in which she has given to her many friends. Her main inspiration for painting her scarves came from sailing, numerous times, on the ship the "Grace Bailey" of Maine Windjammer Cruises, Camden Maine. Gloria also enjoyed singing in her church choir at St. Andrews in Ben Lomond.

Gloria was preceded in death by her daughter, Annie Born, and parents of Scotts Valley. She is survived by her son, JD Sanderson of Brookdale; brother, Bill Barnes and his wife Dena, of Arizona; niece, Katie Barnes of Berkeley and many dear friends.

Please join us in a "Celebration of Life for Gloria Barnes" Saturday, January 26th at 1 p.m. (reception following) at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 101 Riverside Ave. at Glen Arbor Rd., Ben Lomond.

Gloria's ashes will travel to the family plot in Hamilton, Massachusetts. Donations to St. Andrew's Altar Guild would be appreciated.

Ellen Gordon Pearlman

November 22, 2012

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you of the death of our classmate Ellen Gordon Pearlman on November 22, 2012.

Click here to read more.

Class Honorary and Professor Marjorie R. Kaufman

October 30, 2012

The Mount Holyoke College community is mourning the loss of Professor Marjorie R. Kaufman, who died on October 30, 2012. A memorial service celebrating her remarkable life will be held on Saturday, November 17, at 2:00 p.m. in Abbey Chapel at Mount Holyoke College. Those wishing to make a contribution in Marjorie's honor may donate to the Frances Perkins Fund c/o The Office of Advancement at Mount Holyoke College, 50 College St., South Hadley, MA 01075.

Read the full article that appeared in the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Ann K. Fitzgerald

October 15, 2011

Ann K. Fitzgerald died Oct. 15, 2011, at Presbyterian Hospital in New York City after falling in her home.

She was one of the founders in the field of women's studies. As a new assistant professor of English at Denison University in Ohio, she originated a large women's studies lecture course that was taken by hundreds of students. She served as director of women's studies at Denison for a dozen years, and was instrumental in establishing women's studies within the colleges comprising the Great Lakes Colleges Association. She led the effort to create the first-in-the-nation requirement that undergraduates take coursework in women's and black studies. She wrote and lectured widely on women's studies, as well as on multicultural education. In 2003 she directed the Antioch College Women's Studies in Europe program.

After moving to New York in 1985, she served as director of programs for the Association of Junior Leagues International as well as for the Child Care Action Campaign. She then worked as director of student services for Marymount Manhattan College. She wrote studies on women's education and at-risk youth for the Carnegie Commission on Adolescent Development, the Ford Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the Fund for the Improvement of Post Secondary Education.

In 1995, Ann began an entirely new career at the American Museum of Natural History. She served as senior researcher for a number of exhibitions, notably those on "Body Art: Marks of Identity" and on "Vietnam: Journeys of Body, Mind, and Spirit." For the Body Art show, she was responsible for the sections on contemporary tattoo and piercing. She became active in the tattoo community and lectured extensively in the United States, Europe, and Asia on the subject.

Her book, Class, Culture, and Literature, edited with Paul Lauter, was published in 2001 by Addison, Wesley, Longman.

Ann K. Fitzgerald was educated at Mt. Holyoke College and St. Andrews University in Scotland, and received her master's degree in English and art history from the University of Wisconsin.

A memorial is planned for December 3rd in NYC at the Rubin Museum at 150 W. 17th St. at 11:30 am. Please Click Here for More.

Trudith Noehren Rishikof

October 6, 2011

Known to all as Trudi, died on October 6, 2011, one day before her sixty-fifth birthday. Trudi was born in Rochester, NY to loving parents Dr. Theodore and Madeleine Noehren and raised in Buffalo. She attended high school at Buffalo Seminary and spent her childhood summers at Quaker Lake, PA, dominating on the tennis court and dazzling on the dance floor. Trudi went on to graduate from Mount Holyoke College with a B.A. in art history and earn an M.Ed. in English as a Second Language (ESL) from Boston University and an MBA from Arthur D. Little School of Management.

Trudi's career was anchored by a love of languages, cultures, communication and public service. Early on she taught ESL, communications and international business practices to students across the globe, from Botswanan businessmen to Harvard MBA students to French senior executives. Trudi was also the senior editor for the French and German Journals on Politics and Society at Harvard's Center for European Studies. She moved on to a long career as a leader in non-profit communications and publications, including work at the National Alliance of Business, American University, the United Negro College Fund and Africare, from which she retired in 2009. Trudi also dedicated 18 years of service to the Alliance Francaise de Washington as an advocate and board member and twice served as its president. In June 2011, she was honored with a prestigious medal by the Alliance Francaise at the Belgian Embassy in recognition of her extraordinary dedication and efforts to advance French culture in Washington.

In 1988, Trudi married her soul mate, Harvey Rishikof, with whom she enjoyed a life of love and laughter while traveling the globe, eating and cooking wonderful food, and appreciating theater, art, music and culture. They moved to Washington, DC in 1993 from Massachusetts, and Trudi loved living in the District. She delighted in her time with their daughters, Milena Nigam and Maja Orekar, sons-in-law, Kamal Nigam and Andy Orekar, three grandchildren, Oscar and Simon Nigam and Cecilia Orekar, her sister and brother-in-law, Nancy and George Melling, extended family and friends.

Trudi was a devoted, beloved and beautiful wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and friend. She will be missed for her intelligence, sense of humor, aesthetic sense and incredible toasts, but above all for the warmth she brought to all those around her. Her selflessness, kindness and positive energy for life touched all who knew her.

Services will be held at a later date.

Carol Wenk Bellisio


August 8, 2011

Our classmate Carol Wenk Bellisio passed away on August 8. She was a dedicated classmate and over the years held several positions for the class, including some on the board of the Class of 1968. You know her most recently as the cheerful and competent Treasurer who collected your dues. You may know her through many other connections.

She was an enthusiastic, hard working, and joyful person. People enjoyed being with her, whether she was recording our accounts or leading a climb to the top of a summit, Mount Holyoke, or some other peak. Her middle name could have been "Energy".

Carol worked for the class assiduously ever since graduation. In 2008 she won the Mount Holyoke College "Loyalty Award".

As Eloise Prescott Killeffer expressed it, "I was stunned to receive the news from her husband Jules--my trust in the power of prayer (and in a truly merciful God) allowed me to believe that somehow, Carol would be able to vanquish her disease. She seemed to be doing so well. But it was not to be... "

Carol is sorely missed. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her family.

If you would like to send your condolences to her husband Jules and her family, Eloise will provide the contact information for you. Eloise is at email and phone 203-966-3792. Below is Carol's obituary, provided by her family.

Newspaper Obituary:

Carol Wenk Bellisio, 66 - Wall, NJ

April 11th, 1945 - August 8th, 2011

Carol Wenk Bellisio, 66, of Wall, NJ passed away on August 8, 2011 following a 10-month battle with pancreatic cancer. Born in New York City, Carol grew up in Mountain Lakes, NJ. Carol lived with her husband of 41 years, Jules, in Wall Township, NJ. Carol was a graduate of Mount Holyoke College and received a Masters degree from Monmouth University, where she also taught. She was awarded a PhD in the Education of Mathematics by Rutgers University.

In addition to teaching at the college level, Carol also taught nursery school, taught high school math, and was an expert advisor to the New Brunswick Board of Education, helping to improve the math skills of inner city children. Carol led a uniquely active life. She was a mother of three, Girl Scout leader, soccer coach and treasurer of her alumni group. Inspired by her own year in Holland as an AFS high school exchange student, she and her family hosted multiple foreign students through this same program.

For over 30 years, Carol was deeply involved in many facets of the First Presbyterian Church of Belmar, NJ. She led the bell choir, acted as treasurer, sang in the choir and was a member of many committees and church groups. Carol was also an avid traveler: visiting, camping and hiking through many countries around the world. Every year she also hiked in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, climbing the highest peaks. She loved to read mysteries, bake, garden and knit, and leaves behind dozens of projects which her daughters have vowed to complete.

Carol is survived by her husband and three daughters, Nina, Angela, and Carla, and brothers David and Arthur Wenk. A memorial service and luncheon will be held at the First Presbyterian Church of Belmar, 600 9th Avenue at E Street in Belmar, NJ 07719 on August 20th at 11am.

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Memorial Fund at the church.

Services: 11:00AM at First Presbyterian Church of Belmar on Saturday, August 20th, 2011

A Tribute for Carol Wenk Bellisio from Classmate Nopamart

As for Carol Wenk Bellisio, I am so saddened to hear of her death. She seemed so healthy and energetic the last time we met at our 40th reunion in 2008. I remember her as a very nice and kind-hearted person. We met her our freshman year. Her friendliness left a good, long-lasting impression upon me. Her eyes were always sparkling with enthusiasm to help. Considering all the good things she did for others, I am sure her soul will rest in heaven.

Nopamart (Intarasalee) Manoleehagul

Phyllis Hutt Coffey

October 20, 2010

We sadly report the passing of classmate Phyllis Hutt Coffey last October. She is profoundly missed by her life partner Joseph Turechek and her children and family. Her obituary is posted on the funeral home website.

Donations in remembrance of Phyllis can be made to Connecticut Hospice at the address in the obituary. Our heartfelt condolences go to her family.

Betsy Wade Whitehead

December 1, 2010

It is with great sadness that we mark the passing of Betsy Wade Whitehead. If you would like to send your condolences to her husband George Whitehead and her family, Eloise will provide the contact information for you. Eloise is at email and phone 203-966-3792. Below is Betsy's obituary, provided by her family. Tributes to her will appear in the Alumnae Quarterly.

Elizabeth Wade "Betsy" Whitehead, of Cambridge formerly of Scituate, Newton and a lifelong summer resident of West Yarmouth, died at her home on Wed Dec 1, 2010.

A graduate of Mahwah (NJ) High School she earned a BA in Economics from Mount Holyoke College (1968) and a Masters in City and Regional Planning from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government (1981). During Betsy's 18-year career in Public Finance at BayBank and BankBoston she played an executive leadership role in municipal finance including a leading staff role on the 1990 "Crozier Commission" tasked by Gov. Dukakis to recommend solutions to the state's fiscal crisis. From 2000 to 2006 Betsy led Finance and Administration at the Union of Concerned Scientists. An active Episcopalian, Betsy served Grace Church in Newton for over 30 years as well as the Episcopal City Mission and other charities. She also was active in the Hyannis Park Civic Association and was a past President of the Scituate League of Women Voters. An avid sailor and gardener Betsy treasured time with family on Cape Cod and the lively conversation of her book group.

Betsy was the beloved wife of George A.N. Whitehead, loving mother of Elizabeth Louise Churchill of Arlington, George Richards Churchill III of Elmhurst IL, Jonathan Wade Churchill of Boxboro and Marcia Eaton Whitehead of Cambridge, the dear sister of Margaret Jacobs of Center Barnstead NH, Marcia Wade of NY,NY, Mary Jo Wade of Noti, OR, Marjorie Paddock of Vienna, VA, Robert Wade of Haddonfield, NJ and the late Richard Wade, and grandmother of Ethan, Elliott, Julian, Leo, Tynan, Charlotte, Maeve and Reed.

A memorial service will be held on Sat Dec 4 at 2 PM in Grace Episcopal Church 76 Eldredge St. Newton Corner.

Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to VNA Hospice Care 100 Sylvan Rd., Suite G-500, Woburn, MA 01801 or Breast Cancer Research at MGH, c/o Dr. Lydia Schapira, 55 Fruit St. Boston, MA 02114.

To share a memory of Betsy please visit

In Memoriam Tribute for Betsy Wade Whitehead from Mount Holyoke Alumna Lisa Lansing, Class of 1964

Betsy was my wise sister. We weren't at MHC at the same time, and I'm the older one, but she had a serene intelligence which made her my senior in many ways. I sought her out for ideas and the affection which passes between two good friends. I shall miss her all my life.

In Memoriam Tribute for Betsy Wade Whitehead from Classmate Carol Foy Graham

Marion Elizabeth Wade was born the second child and first daughter to her mother Marion and father Richard on NOVEMBER 13, 1946. The couple would go on to have 4 more daughters and another son! Her mother had graduated from Mount Holyoke exactly 25 years before Betsy and our class would share graduation/reunion weekend in 1968. It always seemed to me that Betsy was the ultimate big sister and now I mourn her loss very much as I would a sister's.

We lived in 1837 during our junior and senior years and that is when we became such close friends that I asked her to be my maid of honor. We waited table together and played bridge after gracious dinner or tea. Our roommates would leave for Wesleyan and Yale after class on Friday and we would have the weekends to fill. We'd go down to the Friendly's for ice cream or across to the tavern for roast beef on rye and vodka gimlets. We'd stay up in the "smoker" working on papers or trek back and forth from the library. There was always something to talk about. Sundays we'd rally a team of diverse majors to attack the New York Times crossword. Betsy was dorm president senior year and I was the fire captain; so I set off a fire drill on her 21st birthday and brought the entire dorm into the dining room for her cake and party! Mountain days were glorious as we drove up to Williamston. After our comps (for which it snowed!), Betsy took us all out to her family's cottage in Hyannis and we bought lobsters that walked around until being broiled, boiled, and devoured.

Since our graduation, my friendship with Betsy has been a wonderful treasure. I went east for her first wedding in '69 and then visited her a little over a year later when baby Ellie had come. Not surprisingly, Betsy knew just how to mother - with 5 younger siblings she had great preparation. I remember being very impressed when Betsy had the audacity to let the baby lick an ice cream cone! We traded letters and cards and photos for several years as her clan grew to include George and Jon. In '70, I got to visit her in Scituate with my husband and our oldest. She gave me very practical advice on toilet training that worked!

10 years later I had a teacher's conference in Deerfield and Betsy was kind enough to host a dinner and little MHC reunion in her Newton home. My co-teacher was included and welcomed, saying she felt just like one of the group.

At Betsy's 1983 second wedding, I was pregnant with my youngest. She was happier than I had seen her in years and she warned George Whitehead that I would surely be the friend who would "interrogate" him -so, of course, I did. Betsy came out to Chicago for a League of Women Voter's conference a few years later and revealed that her youngest daughter was on the way. She shared her little Marcia with George's Mother who lived next door in their Cambridge home. Betsy's Mom had died very young and I think she really came to love Mrs. Whitehead deeply.

As the years passed and our families and careers changed we continued to exchange visits and share rooms or rides for reunion. Email made communication quicker but Betsy didn't announce her breast cancer until she'd already taken steps to control it. You had to ask her about problems and I'm not sure she would have told me when it metastasized to her brain if I hadn't announced a visit was upcoming. So I got to visit her briefly in May and October of '09 and we could still talk. Then 3 months ago after she had gone into hospice I visited her for the last time. She couldn't talk much anymore but she was happy to have friends and family bustling around her and she could still look at me and smile in recognition. During a lull in that afternoon, I held her hand and thanked her for being such a good friend to me. How could the 45 years have passed without my saying that before? How could the distance and divergent lives have left us friends? All I can tell you is that Betsy had the unfailing ability to make me feel like I was OK She accepted others without judging them and in so doing gave them the chance to accept themselves - and usually become better selves.

Last month I joined several of our classmates and hundreds of her friends and family at her beautiful memorial. Her sister described Betsy as being "all about others," and I understood how hard it was to remember stories about Betsy alone. There were many pictures of Betsy through the years on display at the lovely parish reception that followed. Betsy would have liked the ones with her grandchildren the most - she was as great at that role as she had been as a mom. But my favorite picture of Betsy is in the midst of us all with the laurel chain on our shoulders and the glowing smiles of our indomitable youth. How very lucky we were to have had that time to be together.